Monday, May 16, 2005

Awful Cynicism:

I was only fifteen when I was greatly upset by cynicism in the Hamilton Violin Company's brochure.Hamilton sold violins to young, eager beginning students at low (for a violin!) prices. The most expensive model was the $450 Genuine Stradivarius Model. This model claimed to be an exact copy of a particular Strad, right down the the faithful reproduction in the body of some damage repair that had been done to the original. I'd heard some Hamiltons, and I did not believe for a moment that these mass-produced violins would sound like a Strad. Here's what the catalog said:
"Do not expect your Stradivarius model violin to sound like a genuine Stradivarius ..." I wish the sentence had ended there, but it didn't. Here's the whole sentence:
"Do not expect your Stradivarius model violin to sound like a genuine Stradivarius for the first few weeks." The catalog went on to explain that you had to break the violin in first.
Please try to put yourself in the place of the person who wote that sentence. I did, and it still bothers me.

No comments: