Thursday, October 12, 2006

How bad was my back pain ...

Occasionally a muscle in my back spasms tight, causes pain, and it takes about a week for me to get the muscle loose and recover from the resulting inflammation. But recently I had a really bad back spasm. I was telling myself that I USED to have spasms this bad, but I really hadn't experienced such a one for fifteen years or more. Was I right? You be the judge:

When your back is bad, there are a bunch of things you can do to help it. I immediately remembered Exercise #1, which is to lie on your belly for ten minutes. (That exercise was hard for physical therapists to discover, because lying down that way makes your back feel worse and worse for about five minutes, as your disks gradually move to a better position; but then you start to feel much less pain and your back is now better aligned.)

After ten minutes it was time to stand up. Holy Moley, how do I do that? I had forgotten how hard it is to get up off the floor when almost every strength move or body shift makes you hurt worse. I was lying in the empty middle of a room. I slowly slithered to the nearest chair, grasped it and levered myself up. In fifteen years I'd forgotten to do Exercise #1 right next to a chair.

No comments: