Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I cut myself changing a lightbulb ...

Do you worry about cutting yourself when changing a lightbulb? I do, partciularly because of the risk (I assume) of chemically treated glass particles. When I find it hard to unscrew a lightbulb, I usually put on an oven mitt before placing any squeeze pressure on the bulb to turn it.

Our home came with a chandelier that takes eight 40 watt "flame tip" bulbs. Today a bulb went dead, so I took a replacement out of its bubble pack, and immediately noticed that the new bulb had something transparent stuck to it near the tip. That might be plastic from the bubble pack, which would smell awful when the bulb was lit, so I tried to flick it off with my thumb. (Stupid.) It turned out to be a glass defect. Some of the excess glass splintered in my thumb, and some extra glass remained on the outside of the bulb.

Now I worried whether this was a totally defective bulb. Was there a hole in the glass? Would it explode when turned on? I decided to throw it away at once; after all, it only cost about $1.50, so why take any risk? Having made this firm decision, I bandaged up my bleeding thumb and then inserted the bulb into the chandelier, using my non-dominant hand only, while shielding my eyes.

Whew. The bulb works fine.

No comments: