Wednesday, February 04, 2009

No snow for old men:

If you're male and over forty, I hope you know that there's danger of heart attack and death if you shovel snow. Unfortunately, snow obeys Murphy's law, finding special ways to fall on your grounds such that you're the only person available to do something about it. Now I'm not a doctor, and I probably have no idea what I'm doing, but here's what I do:

I do not lift snow. I just push it out of the way. Lifting, especially with heavy snow, is just asking for trouble.

I use shovel snow barehanded. I want to do only a little at a time, and I come inside when my hands feel cold and awful. This is a graduated limiting maneuver, because my risk increases as the temperature drops, but my hands get cold faster, and send me inside sooner, when the temperature is low.

So far, so good. Comments? Advice? I'd appreciate advice.

1 comment:

jgfellow said...

40! My snow shoveling days are numbered!