Tuesday, April 06, 2010

The Mets: One more time...

As most of you know, I’m a long time Mets fan. And I consider myself pretty adept at watching baseball games. I can follow what the pitchers are doing, and I can anticipate ballfield tactics as they develop. But last year I seemed to lose interest in the game. I followed few Mets games and paid little attention to baseball.

Perhaps that’s partly baseball’s fault. It was also partly the Mets’ fault. They got so bad, I could not bear to watch them lose. But I kept telling myself that that was a poor excuse.

In the deep past, I rooted happily for the Mets when they won ¼ of their games. I’ve rooted for winning Mets teams, but I’ve also rooted for, and followed, the adventures of boring losers. So why, last year, did the quality of the team put me off? Well, I’m going to try harder this year. I’ve been reading about the Mets in spring training, and I’m reasonably sure that they are going to be atrocious again this year. If I’m still a man with some hot blood in him, I should be able to enjoy watching them pile up the losses in 2010. Shouldn’t I?

No comments: