Sunday, May 01, 2011

Verizon: Outrageous? Where's the outcry?

Verizon has just notified me about a few changes in their terms of service. One change is a doozy. I quote:

Home Router Password Changes. Section 10.4 was updated to clarify that Verizon may in limited instances modify administrative passwords for home routers in order to safeguard Internet security and our network, the security and privacy of subscriber information, to comply with the law, and/or to provide, upgrade and maintain service.

I would be only slightly more outraged if Verizon told me they had decided they had the right to change the passwords on my computer. I OWN my router. How dare they claim the right to override how I wish to administer it?

I can imagine situations in which Verizon's new 'right' will enable them to smoothly upgrade my service, or disable me if I am an unrepentant hacker. Or if I download too much data. Or if I upload something they feel is awful.

Now, perhaps you're thinking: Don't be silly; for FIOS, Verizon owns the router, and so they have the right to control it. I wonder if that's the case, but if it is: I prefer to own my router thank you, and to pick the DNS of my choice, even if that means never 'upgrading' to FIOS.

No comments: