Tuesday, June 08, 2004

A little excitement in radio land:

I’m a regular DJ for a weekly classical music program, 6:00 to 8:30 a.m. Today I agreed to do 6 to 11 because the station is moving to new quarters and they are very short-handed. The station changes formats many times during the day; at 11 a.m., no Jazz announcer showed up. I went on the air and said “Well jazz fans, here’s the story: there’s no jazz announcer here and the shelves are bare. Almost all the music has moved to our new location. I’ll put on a some more classical music and see what I can find.”
I put on Enesco’s first Romanian Rhapsody (11’54”) and started hunting. Luckily I saw a familiar name – Ahmad Jamal – and we managed to have a jazz program. A good thing too, my only other idea was to feed our jazz fans a steady diet of classical pop – Sorcerer’s apprentice, etc.

No comments: