Thursday, February 03, 2005

Bad Working Conditions.

If you’ve worked for a number of years, chances are you’ve occasionally had to work under difficult conditions. I have no trouble remembering my worst cases:

For one week, I shared an office cube, 5 feet by 7.5 feet, with three other people. Three! (One at a time of course.)

My boss once objected to an expense item after a special field trip: I was charging to replace a pair of pants. I described the unexpected working conditions and he quickly capitulated. I had installed a computer in a building that was not fully built. I worked in a ten by thirty foot room with gaping floor holes, through which you could see the cellar twenty feet below. There were sharp edges everywhere. To use the phone, wore a hard hat, in part as protection against welding flames from above. Whee!

Then there was another office that was an empty hallway, 4 feet by 30; a desk, no AC plug and no phone. It did have a door at one end, and hardly anyone walked through it.

Oh and then there was the psychotic manager who could only relate to his pet cat. But enough about me. How about YOUR working conditions?

No comments: