Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Rolling Around ...

If you have a station wagon type of car, or a hatchback, or some vehicle with an inside flat platform, you know one of the most annoying sounds in the world: when a bottle rolls around back there. Now I was sure there was nothing back there, nothing at all. I bought ten lemons, put them in a bag and stuck them in back while I drove to my next destination, a ten minute ride.

And I started hearing those rolling noises. No matter how gently I tried to drive: roll, roll, roll, bang, roll, thump.

I tried to figure out what it was. Had I left a juice bottle back there? A two-liter soda? As I drove, the noises got worse and worse. As soon as I could park, I rushed back and opened the tailgate to look.

The lemons had rolled out of their bag. All ten of them had been rolling about in every direction, bumping the car frame on both sides, in the front and the back. I recaptured the lemons and all was fine.

2 comments:

Martin Langeland said...

Is that auto-matic lemonade?
--ml

tobyr21@gmail.com said...

Funny! But of course, it wasn't lemonade. Lemonade, sloshing about the back of a car, would make a lot less noise than lemons.
- PB