Monday, January 07, 2013

I could have flown there, in less time than it took to buy the tickets:


This morning I weighed 220.8 pounds.

Yesterday I made flight reservations for a vacation we will take in the far, far future. It took over FOUR HOURS to accomplish this. I’m sure you’ve all heard of, and experienced, the like.

The whole process was irritating and mind-numbing. Part of the nuisance was deciding how to pay: airline flight points, amex points, cash, or using our flight club’s $99 companion fee. Much over an hour disappeared in three debugging sessions, with the Airline’s IT department trying to decide (1) how I should buy a flight with dividend points (the IT guy steered me wrong), (2) why I got a crazy error message instead of: a simple explanation that they couldn’t let me do something that the website tried to let me do, and (3) why their website site insisted I did not have enough dividend miles (which turned out at last to be a bug known to IT). The "correction" was to have me make two separate phone calls to specify all the details twice, details that I had already entered into the website three times.

It’s enough to make a person want to stay home. Maybe I will...

No comments: