Wednesday, January 16, 2013

WHO CARES what my friends prefer?


Today I weighed 220 pounds. I’ll make progress in my diet, if I can resist a big Chinese Dinner tonight.

Facebook has a ton of data that’s not available to Google, Bing, or any general search engine. Facebook has initiated the first of (I suspect) several brave attempts to provide its own search capabilities, searches that utilize the preferences, habits and actvities of your friends.

Excuse me while I yawn.

A few years ago, there was a lot of excitement about the marriage of the social web and reviews. We could trust reviews better because we could see whether they came from real people, people whose social milieu was often open to inspection. We know now that reviews remain susceptible to manipulatuion, but reviews in our current social web world are a true improvement, I believe.

I rely heavily on reviews. Not so much to decide what to buy, as to discover new products, websites, blogs, activities, ideas and trends. When such good things arise, people write about them. If I restricted myself to the opinions of my friends, I would be looking for new directions within a small pond of knowledge. I want to get out there and see what the world, and some reviewers I can trust, have found.
 Who cares whether my friends share the same knowledge?

No comments: