Thursday, July 06, 2006

The fashion statement: I, Geek!

A few months ago I visited a company to discuss consulting for them. I wanted to make the point that I'm an up to date techy geek, so I was careful to wear my USB memory key, and to place my resume file on the key. I expected that everyone I would talk to had already seen my resume, which had been mailed to them, but I would bring the file just in case; and if anyone said they hadn't seen it, I would whip out the usb device, we'd plug it into their computer, and all would be fine.

When I arrived at the company, I identified myself to the receptionist. She said, "I need to give everyone a copy of your resume, do you have it with you?"
I pulled out my usb memory and offered it to her. She had no idea what to do with it. Now obviously this was NOT the person I wanted to impess with my geekmanship. But I wound up crawling on the floor under her desk, moving her desktop computer around, managing to find a usb port and plugging my memory in. I was thankful I'd found a port at all on her relatively old computer, thankful she didn't feel too busy to allow me my crawl time. I helped her find my resume and print it.

I'm back to bringing printed resumes to interviews. Paper is a wonderful storage medium!

No comments: