Monday, March 17, 2008

In bad weather, are criminals lazy?

Twice recently on a Saturday night, some kids went into our garage and messed up our car interiors, looking for something to steal. Subsequently I've been careful about my carlocks on Saturday nights. But a few weeks ago, as I laid my head on the pillow, I realized the car doors were unlocked. "Not to worry," I told myself, "it's windy, cold and rainy. No criminals tonight."

In fact I really believe that criminals would rather do their nasty-work in good weather. On average, they are probably less industrious than most people, or fewer of them would be criminals. It bothers me a little that I can sell this line to myself so easily, but, hey, maybe I'm right.

4 comments:

Martin Langeland said...

Curious how we assume that anything so stupid as crime (to us) must appeal to the lazy. How flattering to our industry!
Yet all around us the bankers hustle, hustle, hustle, to get us to sign away our money. Brecht asked: "How can you compare the crime of robbing a bank with the crime of founding one?"
I think we would be amazed at the dedication of our small time hoodlum wannabes age 15 or so. Being good is just following directions. Being bad requires effort.
Hope they decided your car wasn't worth that effort. And that they were wrong again.
--ml

tobyr21@gmail.com said...

Now, now! I said I thought ON AVERAGE, criminals were lazier. I realize some of them work very hard, even to earn very small amounts.

How many of those small time 15 year old hoodlums will work in bad weather, when they can wait a few hours for something better? I don't know, but I think that laziness does not only belong to those who are honest.

Please consider that our garage has only been ransacked on Saturday nights.
- PB

Martin Langeland said...

That figures ...
The other night's have homework or school dances
;<]
--ml

JC said...

Criminals who ransack cars, in my experience, are often drug addicts looking for small items to translate into small amounts of cash ($5 = 1 rock of crack). Crack addicts are the very definition of sloth (and not just because of Se7en). Real 'hustle' criminals would have just taken the car.