Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Jeff Meshel on Music:

Jeff Meshel asked me to check out his blog. I knew that we shared some musical interests, but I was surpised by the first musical mutuality I discovered there. His most recent article (Dec, 2010) links to a fine DooWop Kinescope of Dion and the Belmonts singing “I Wonder Why” before a rapt, gum-chewing audience. I was going to give you the link, but please drop by Jeff Meshel’s World and take it from there.

Last June, Meshel discussed another favorite of mine, the Concierto de Aranjuez from the LP album MILES Sketches of Spain. Meshel flirts with calling this a piece of classical music, by I think he does not quite come out and say that. I imagine that most people discover this album by looking for Miles Davis, and there’s some spell-binding Davis here. But in this album’s music, especially the concerto, it is the composer, Gil Evans, who weaves the spells.

My own casual interests in Jazz did not naturally reach to either Davis or Evans. It was a cousin of mine, a professional classical musician, who led me to it.

No comments: