Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The last Typewriter Manufacturer is Gone:

Via Slashdot, I've learned from this Atlantic article that the last typewriter manufacturer, Godrej and Boyce (in Mumbai) has shut its doors. (Business got slow there after 2000).

There are many writers who feel that the pace of typing stirs their creative juices. I've been editing and correcting on computers all my adult life, so I'm not one of them.

I do have happy memories of my father's Underwood, on which he drafted many a fine brief. Quite a few of its keys had a beautiful brownish-orange cast, the result of my obtaining tincture of iodine from the bathroom when I was three, and spilling it into the machine, which stoutly survived. Pressing the Underwood's keys was interesting. They didn't all move the same, and some traveled much farther than others, to reach the page.

No comments: