Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Bucolic Campus?

I left home at 5:30 a.m. today to walk across town and through the university campus to the radio station. (My classical music  show ran from 6 to 8:30. WPRB broadcasts at 103.3 FM and streams from WPRB.COM.)

Outside my door, the birdsong symphony was beautiful and intense. There was no traffic, and wow, there were a lot of birds. I bet it will sound even better on campus, I thought. There's only one road on campus, and the students would be asleep. I walked on, eager to find out what the birds would sound like among the tree-landscaped dorms and school buildings.

Campus was a surprising disappointment. A noisy bus plied up and down that one road. Students were asleep, but workmen drove their utility vehicles into place for their day's work. Giant A/C systems rumbled in the larger buildings. Against all this noise, birds sang their hearts out, but there weren't many of them.  For the first time, it occurred to me that our town has more tree cover than much of the open campus.

I'll listen to the birds at home.

No comments: