Tuesday, January 04, 2005

I CONFESS!

Every time my wife and I run into stupid computer problems, time-wasters and roadblocks, my wife holds me responsible. She holds me responsible for every ill of the computer industry, from spam and spyware to bloated code, lousy GUIs, bad display fonts and hard-to-install networks.
And let’s face it: SHE’S RIGHT! I’ve been in the computer industry so long that I once programmed a mainframe with vacuum tubes for memory. I’ve been in the thick of many software developments. I’ve had all the time in the world to shape this industry into something better. Instead I’ve expressed boundless, unfounded optimism, saying how wonderful computers would be as they became mainstream.
It has been ALL MY FAULT! I CONFESS!
There, I feel a little better now. But not much. Hand me that dead disk drive, will you?

No comments: