Sunday, May 25, 2008

Men will cook if there's danger involved --- etc.

I believe it is Rita Rudner who advises that "Men will cook when there's danger involved." Some men (me, for example) enjoy a few other things if there's danger involved.

I was working at the small airport earlier this week. There's a lot of expansion-type construction there. As a result, the walk between the plane in the hangar and my development PC takes a long, circuitous route, unless I go through the construction zone; so that's what I do.
First, I open a door that has a long slit cut in it for a window. (Pay attention to this detail, it will be important later.) Then I look both ways - you never know what might come swinging through the air at a construction site - and I cross one corner of the site. Then I walk through a wide doorway that has no door, and I'm near the plane.

Going back is a little more interesting. First I look through the doorless doorway -- you never know what might come swinging through the air at a construction site - and I cross my corner of the site. The door with the slit in it is locked, but only on this side. I reach through the slit, angle my arm way down, unlock the door, and I'm out.

I did want to ask the construction workers why the door was locked only on the inside, but I was afraid I knew what they would say: "It's to keep fools like you from hurting yourself."

Well ... Eventually, I did ask one of the construction workers:
"Do you happen to know why this door is locked only on the inside?"
He chuckled, said "Yep," and walked away. Wrong question, I guess. I always was a good setup man.

No comments: