Sunday, October 31, 2010

Parking: What to do, what to do.

Imagine that wherever you are, it's hard to find a parking space. You spot one just ahead and pull in, even though there's a medium-size, black, long-haired dog leashed to the parking meter.

When you get out of your car, it's between the dog and you. If you want to put money in the meter, it damn well better be a very good dog, because it will be between the meter and you. What do you do?

I'm a dog-lover. Most dogs like me. I figure that any owner who leaves a dog tied to a meter knows that it is trustworthy and safe with strangers. Well, at least that's what the owner thinks. Is the owner right? I'd just as soon not find out.

I called the local police, gave them the meter number and told them I was not going to feed the meter because of the dog, and I did not want to get a ticket. No problem! Judging from the way the policeman responded, I doubt I'm the first person to make such a call.

And now I feel sheepish about all the times I tied my own dog to a meter.

No comments: