Tuesday, November 23, 2004

It’s all in the point of view:

I turned the radio station on this morning to do my program (WWW.WPRB.COM, Tuesdays 6 to 8:30 a.m. EST), and found that all four microphones were not working. There was no way to make a live announcement on the air. I kept muttering “there’s gotta be a way” and soon found it: using an audio tape, I pre-recorded my announcements in the backup studio, and then played them from tape on the air. I felt like I’d made a ground-breaking discovery!
But many radio stations pre-record everything, so there’s nothing original about my solution. It’s just that we’re used to being live on the air. When the second DJ came in, I showed him how to do the same thing. Like me he was (at first) very nervous recording because he WASN’T live, which, if you think about it, is exactly backwards. “Relax,” I told him, “You can re-record your announcement if you don’t like the first take.” Takes some getting used to…

No comments: