Monday, July 16, 2007

An amazing baseball game:

On June 24, 2007, the Mets played Oakland in New York. I started watching this game in the top of the ninth. There were two out, nobody on base, and Oakland trailed the Mets 10 to 2. After scanning the scoresheet, I realized that this was one of the most exciting moments in baseball that I had ever experienced, and I rooted for Oakland to score. Sadly, they made out and the game ended.

Had they scored, this would have been an incredibly rare game, because exactly one of the teams would have scored in every inning. The ninth was the only inning in which no runs crossed the plate. Oakland scored in the fifth and sixth innings, and the Mets scored in all the rest -- until that fateful ninth. I don't know how rare such a game is, but I've been keeping my eye out for such a game for at least twenty years. (My uncle Rob, a more devoted baseball fan than I, says he has seen games where teams score every inning. These involve a lot of one-run innings, and are called "picket fence" games because of the way the scoreboard looks.)

No comments: