Monday, September 03, 2007

I want a waterproof lap counter:

I want a wrist-wear gadget that counts the laps I swim. It's tedious counting laps. All this gadget has to do is increment a counter each time I make a 180 degree turn. And of course it has to be waterproof. There's a market for my gadget! The closest thing I can find is a thingy you stick, underwater, to the end of your pool. You press its big button each time you pass it. If you search for "lap counter" and "waterproof". you'll find some even lamer solutions to my problem. Why should I have to press a button? Let the gadget figure out that I'm turning around!


UPDATE! My commenter (THANKS!) pointed me to exactly the device I want. It does count laps by sensing turnaround, and it does a lot more. It's called the Clothing+ Swim Distance Tracker, and it is available (for now?) only in Finland? I've got to get one.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a look at
https://www.store24.fi/epages/wth.storefront/46f6e05e0021503527195274eb070614/Product/View/CPLUS21_eng

tobyr21@gmail.com said...

Anonymous, thanks! That's exactly it, and only about $67. But they only ship to the EU, I have to figure out how to get it.

Anonymous said...

Hi again,
You could try the manufacturer direct to see if they have set up distribution outside the EU. Their URL is http://www.uintimatkamittari.fi/

Also I noticed that I posted yesterday has a session id in it, which now has expired. Static url is https://www.store24.fi/epages/wth.storefront/FI/Product/CPLUS21_eng

Anonymous said...

any luck getting it shipped to USA?

tobyr21@gmail.com said...

Yes! Even with the help of friends, it took months. I bought two, keeping one as a spare. They work really well. It was very had figuring out the English manual, which is written in excellent English but fails to explain a lot. I'm very happy with it.

Anonymous, are you the one who found this thing for me? Please email me at tobyr21@gmail.com.

- PB