Monday, June 28, 2010

Britta Cap Falls Off:

I’m sure I’m not the first person to complain about one aspect of the otherwise excellent Britta Water pitchers: The cap easily falls off. When pouring, and when filling, you can get into trouble if you stop thinking about the cap. Our Atlantis pitcher has a long top, and a second flap that is near the handle. You can see this arrangement here.

I’m guessing, but I think that this second flap is responsible for the trouble. Without it, the cap could be redesigned to be more stable when severely tipped. I never use that second flap. When I need to refill the pitcher, I take the entire top off. Why doesn’t everybody? Why did Britta insist on that second opening in the cap?

I’m writing this blog entry because I just realized the obvious: The existence of that flap, and my disregard of it, says a lot about the value of a Britta pitcher, and hints what I think of it: When I take the entire top off to refill the pitcher, it becomes physically possible (and very unlikely) that I will accidentally pour some water directly into the bowels of the pitcher. Those drops would have bypassed the filter, and people could actually drink them! Heaven protect us from such a tragedy.

No comments: