Friday, April 13, 2007

Poison Ivy:

This is another reminiscence from my summer at Narrowsburg, NY (see last March 21). Late in the summer, I took another counselor on a date on our day off. We walked into Narrowsburg and admired the considerable suspension bridge across the river. What really fascinated me about this brdge was the field next to it, about the size of a football field. It was surrounded by a high mesh fence, except for an opening about fifteen feet wide. You could easily walk in and run around on this field.

But you shouldn't, because it was completely carpeted in poison ivy. I pointed this out to my date, and she said, "Really! I've never gotten poison ivy, I believe I'm immune." And before I could explain that you can lose your immunity at any time, she kicked off her sandals and ran barefoot all over that field for nearly five minutes.

In case you're wondering, I'm very good at identifying PI. If I say it's poison ivy, it IS poison ivy. And no, she didn't get a rash. Amazing.

No comments: