Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I’m growing tomatoes again this year.

Last year, I grew mostly cherry tomatoes. I also planted two tomatillo plants, and one of them bore many fruits. A few years ago, I tried to grow big tomatoes, and the results were disappointing. They took a long time to get ripe, and most of them were attacked by insects, birds or rodents.

This year, there were no tomatillos where I shop. But there were “Early Girls,” relatively small fullsize tomatoes that ripen by mid-July. So I tried four of them them, along with five cherry tomato plants. We are already getting delicious cherry tomatoes, and we have many green Early Girls that are threatening to turn red. I don’t expect to get a thousand cherry tomatoes this year, but it looks like there will be lots of them. They are so, so much better than store tomatoes.

No comments: