Friday, March 17, 2006

I never remember a face ...

Like a rare few of you, I have a lot of trouble remembering both names and faces. Forgetting faces has meant many an embarrassment. I used to hate to say to anyone, "I can't remember your name," and I came up with devious strategems to avoid this awful admission. The advent of the polite phrase "I'm blocking your name" has been a great liberation for me.

Many years ago I started working at a small company. Week after week I ran into people I did not recognize whose names I could not "remember." I just barely managed to deal with all this anonymity. After a few months I discovered that the company was expanding rapidly (from about 40 to 100 in this period). I had in fact been meeting people I had never seen before, never been introduced to.

No comments: