Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Elephant Steak (Grandma Paula again):

My Grandmother Paula had a strange, inventive and biting German sense of humor. I remember far too few examples of what appealed to her comedic sense, but I have just remembered a joke that she loved to tell. It gives me great pleasure to publicize this joke on the internet, but please be forewarned: you're not going to like it.
Two guys decided to open a restaurant. The creative one decided that he had a great way to get them some publicity: their menu would offer, in addition to the usual sorts of food: elephant steak.

The practical one was aghast. "But we don't have elephant steak," he said.

Don't worry," the creative one said. "Just put it on the menu and leave it to me."

They opened for business on a balmy evening, and wouldn't you know it? The first customer who came in ordered elephant steak. The practical owner had conniptions. He asked his partner, "What are we going to do?"

The creative partner went to the customer and asked him, "Where's the rest of your party?"

"My party? Why, what do you mean? I've come alone."

"Alone? Well, you don't expect us to slaughter our elephant just for you, do you?"

No comments: