Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Best 7 Ways to avoid “Best of” Lists:


This morning I weighed 222.8 pounds. I think I’m poised to lose more weight this week.

The web is awash in “Best of” and “Worst of” lists. Magazines love them, too. Writers love them because they involve little writing effort. Select your list items, describe them, and you’re done, unless you must make that mini-Herculean effort of ordering your list from best to not-so-best. Readers love them, too. A “Best” list is easy to comprehend, requiring little effort to follow a sustained argument or analysis of kind.

In this blog entry, I’ve saved you, I hope, from two lists: the one that’s not here, and the one you didn’t read when you decided to read my blog.

“Best” lists are a mental crutch. Don’t get dependent on them.  

No comments: