Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Hymne National:

Our president's comment on "Nuestro Himno" (a spanish version of Our National Anthem) was:
"I think the national anthem ought to be sung in English,"
When I heard that, my immediate reaction was, I'd rather our national anthem was sung in every language. Now this might make you feel good: the Tucson citizen reports that:
Late last month, a young Tohono O'odham, Mike Enis, sang "The Star-Spangled Banner" at the State of the County luncheon in the O'odham language.

(I believe the American Indian word O'odham is pronounced something like “autumn.”) The reporter, Anne T. Denogean, wrote:
It was a respectful, solemn rendition that moved the crowd to silence, even after he was done. Though the words were unfamiliar, I felt the catch in my throat at the same notes that grab me in the original.

Pima County Supervisors' Chairman Richard ElĂ­as said this is the second year the song has been performed at the luncheon in O'odham and he's heard nothing but positive comments, that "it was beautiful and it was interesting."

Two languages down, more than sixty-eight to go!

No comments: